Pages

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Just Muffins

Lately, I've been lazy in attempting complicated bakes since my son has a lot of school work to do. Not that I do his homework's :) but I've been coaching him everyday which leaves me feeling exhausted most of the time. I try to bake once in a while but I limit my choices to simple and fuss free ones.

I've been making muffins lately. I thought it would be easy but honestly I think I'm trying to re-learn it again. I've been more accustomed to cakes and I feel a little bit uneasy about muffins. All the while I thought it would be a breeze but I was disappointed with the result. I need to brush up my skill in muffin making.





Mocha Choco-chip Banana Muffins

Although these muffins may not look so appetizing surprisingly I like its taste. The mocha flavor wasn't that intense which is good because we don't like the flavor of coffee. Walnuts went well with banana and chocolate chips. I over cooked these muffins so they look over browned but I still find them tasty.

Updated: Sept. 9, 2010

My tweaked version of the above muffin:

Mocha Banana Choco-chip Muffins

Mocha Choco-chip Banana Muffins

80 g melted butter
50 g light muscovado sugar
58 g egg
150 g mashed banana
1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
70 g whole wheat pastry flour
70 g All Purpose Flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup semi-sweet choco-chips

Whisk the flours,muscovado sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.

In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg. Whisk in melted butter, coffee, vanilla extract and mashed bananas. Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in the flour mixture until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven (180 C) for 15-20 minutes.






Chocolate Cream Cheese Bites

I had high hopes when I made this muffins. Sadly, the result was a bit disappointing. I find it lacks sweetness. It was a bit dry and the cream cheese flavor somehow didn't came thru even though it was paired with chocolate. Looks can be deceiving...


Photobucket

Triple Chocolate Muffins

Compared to the other two muffins at least this came out really nice. I would describe this as "bold and daring". These uses three types of chocolate - Dutch Processed Cocoa, semi-sweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate . I also added some chopped walnuts and they came out wonderful.

2 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour

6 tbsps dutch processed cocoa

1 and 3/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup walnuts

8 tbsps unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 eggs

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°.

Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda,baking powder and salt.

In another bowl, toss the chocolate chips and walnuts with 3 tsp of the sifted mixture.

Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined (about 3 minutes). Add vanilla.

Beat in the eggs one at a time. Blend in melted chocolate.

Add flour mixture and milk alternately to granulated sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.

Spoon batter into muffin cups lined with muffin cup liners. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

3 comments:

Brilynn said...

If you need to get rid of some of those muffins, I'm here for you!

Cookie said...

Hi Anne,

I love the great photography with the excellent baking!

May i ask how to do you differentiate dutch-processed cocoa from the normal ones? I do not find the description on the hershey cocoa at I bought from the supermarket.

Anne said...

cookie, it should state in the ingredients- cocoa processed with alkali