This is pretty easy to make and yields a very addicting cheesecake. My first to try using a chocolate tart dough and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I happen to run out whipping cream so I substituted it with pure cream. Nevertheless it still came out beyond my expectation. What's more this cheesecake does not need to be cooked in water bath which means less work for me.
Rocky Road Cheesecake Tart
Chocolate Tart Dough
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup butter
1 large egg yolk
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg yolk. Mix to form a smooth dough. Roll out in a 7 inch pie pan (with removable bottom). Cut excess dough and reserve for another use or you can also make 2 mini tartlets with the excess.
- Prick base with fork and chill for at least 1 hour.
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 tbsp water
70 ml whipping cream
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring often.
- When the mixture is amber coloured slowly add cream. Lower heat and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Caramel should be a thick pouring consistency.
Filling :1 box Philadelphia cream cheese
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
sweetened whipped cream
toasted chopped nuts
chocolate fudge sauce
- Using an electric mixer, beat the first four ingredients until creamy.
- Gradually add eggs and mix well until just incorporated.
- Fold in warm ( if too firm, reheat to return into pouring consistency ) caramel until smooth.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake in a preheated oven ( 180 C) for 30- 40 minutes until filling is firm and golden brown.
- Cool. Chill at least 2 hours. Before serving garnish with sweetened whipped cream, mini-marshmallow and toasted chopped nuts. Drizzle with chocolate fudge sauce.
Recipe adapted from : Crave : Cheese Desserts to Die For by Mac Woo and June Lee