Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sinfully Good

Indulgent...

Evil....

Sinful....

Tempting....

How can something be so evil.... and yet be so good?



Devil's Food White-Out Cake


I have been drooling over this cake ever since I saw its picture from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking from my Home to Yours. I said to myself I would definitely make this cake when a special occasion arise, but needless to say that special occasion never came. So I thought , why wait too long. A lot have already done this cake and everyone agreed that this is absolutely delicious. I just realized one day, I couldn't wait anymore :)





I'm at a loss for words on how to describe this cake because I think Dorie has said it all. It was indeed unforgivingly chocolatey with cocoa powder, bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolates in it. I prefer this cake eaten at room temperature because I prefer my cake to be moist and soft. It gets fudgy like a brownie once it has been refrigerated.




I didn't alter the cake recipe but I replaced the original frosting with sweetened whip cream. I've mentioned quite a few times that I'm no fan of meringue based frosting. I never regretted it because the over all result was really good. The cream somehow subdued the intense chocolate flavor. It complimented the cake really well.

9 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Wow, this look so yummy!! I can imagine myself eating the cake first at room temperature and then a second helping when chilled ;)

May I ask how much whipping cream did you use to frost the entire cake? I am always not sure about the amount to use. I certainly would like to try this, but the cake needs to be baked in 2 pans...and my oven is only small enough to fit in one pan :(

evan said...

woah, definitely a death by chocolate experience!! anyway that cake looks familiar. is it on the cover of dorie greenspan's book? i like the cross section of the cake. it looks absolutely delish!!!!

Anne said...

Happy Homebaker, for the whole recipe I think I used about 2 to 3 cups whipping cream. I prefer this cake lavishly covered and filled with lots of cream :)

Anne said...

Evan, your right, this is the one on the cover of Dorie's book. You might like this cake since it's fudgy, like a brownie :)

Brilynn said...

I was really happy with how this cake turned out too, it makes for a great presentation!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Anne, thanks for the info on the amount of cream to use :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Wow, I have Dorie's book and I have to say your cake looks as wonderful as hers!

christine said...

Ooohhh you made it! I've been eyeing this cake for a long time now, since it looks so tempting on the cover. But your post has just pushed me over the edge. I have to make this asap. Great photos! :)

Julius said...

Hi,

Your cake looks wonderful!
Thanks for detailing your experience with Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food White-Out Chocolate Cake.

Your posting encouraged me to try the recipe too. My results are at
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Have a great day!

Julius