Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sneaking In

This post has been sitting unpublished for over a week now. It's good to finally be able to click the publish button :)

Been busy with my kids. My son's final exam is scheduled next week so we are busy preparing for it. My son is so relaxed, I'm really worried for him.

I made this two weeks ago. Although I'm no fan of peanut butter, I made a go in making this since I was captivated by the photo I saw from Emily Luchetti's book Classic Stars Dessert. The end product was good, in fact my eldest son loved it. It was ultra smooth and very chocolatey and the peanut butter flavor wasn't overwhelming so I give this a thumbs up. Warning though, the eggs here are not fully cooked so what I did I heated it up for a minute or two. It was a good thing it didn't curdle and it still came out smooth.


Chocolate Peanut-Butter Terrine



Chocolate Peanut-Butter Terrine

Terrine :

11 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (58-62 percent cocoa. Do not use higher percentage chocolate)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
6 tbsp creamy peanut butter
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 and 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream

Glaze:
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
5 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsps light corn syrup

To make the Terrine : Grease an 8 and 1/2 by 4 and 1/2 by 2 and 3/4 inch loaf pan. Line the pan with plastic wrap, allowing a 1 and 1/2 inch overhang on the sides.

In a stainless bowl, combine chocolate, butter and peanut butter. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom doesn't touch the water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter melt. Remove from heat and whisk until smooth.

Combine the egg yolks and sugar and whip on high speed until thick about 1 minute. Using a wooden spoon, stir the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture in three additions. The mixture will be thick.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream as it starts to thicken. using a spatula, fold the cream into the mixture in 4 additions. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm about 4 hours.

Unmold

Make the Glaze :

In a stainless bowl, combine the chocolate, butter and corn syrup. Melt everything in a double boiler, whisk until smooth. The glaze should be pourable but not so thin that it will run off the terrine. If the glaze is thin, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 mins.

Slowly pour the glaze evenly over the top of the terrine, allowing it to stream evenly down the sides. Refrigerate until the glaze is set.

Note : When making the terrine, gradually add both the melted chocolate to the eggs and the cream to the chocolate mixture. If you add them to quickly, the mixture will seize.

12 comments:

marias23 said...

Beautiful! And a must-try for me because I love love love peanut butter :)

Thanks for sharing.

lynn said...

I am a huge peanut butter fan, so this has to go on my wish list. It looks elegant and delicious!

Anh said...

Beautiful!!!

All the best for your son's exam!

Manggy said...

That looks super-good but also super-rich, Anne! I think I can only take a 1-cm slice!

Happy Homebaker said...

This looks really good!!!
me too, worried for my boy's exam next week :(
parents here are more stressed up than the kids!

toni said...

Oh wow that looks really good. I can imagine how rich it tastes already! May I have a serving please?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anne, good luck to your son!! My fingers are crossed for him.

And this is some fancy dessert, my dear friend!

Cheryl said...

Warning! Warning, do not read your post an hour and half before you get to eat dinner.

Look at the beautiful creamy thing!

Christy said...

Don't worry, I am sure your son's gonna do just great!:D
And I love your blog...so sweet and beautiful!!:D

Julie said...

Oh my gosh, that looks delicious! Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations!

eliza said...

what a lovely terrine, Anne!

Precious Moments said...

Wow this sounds delicious. I have tagged you for a meme. Have fun. http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2007/10/meme-five-things.html