Pages

Saturday, December 01, 2007

I Want Chocolate 3

Fallen Chocolate Souffle Torte


After indulging on my last two post this time I wouldn't settle for anything less. This cake is rich, moist with deep chocolate flavour...but on the lighter side. This recipe is from one of my favorite books The Art of Low Fat Desserts by Alice Medrich. I think this is appropriate these holiday season since it allows us to indulge but with less guilt.



Fallen Chocolate Souffle Torte



Fallen Chocolate Souffle Torte


Fallen Chocolate Souffle Torte

1 ounce blanched almonds, finely ground
3 tbsps all-purpose flour
3 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp brandy (optional)
4 egg whites, at room temperature
scant 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2-3 tsps powdered sugar
whip cream for serving (optional)

Position rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Place a round parchment paper in the bottom of the pan ( 8 inch springform pan 3 inches deep) and butter the sides.

Combine the chopped chocolate, cocoa and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the boiling water and whisk until mixture is smooth and chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in the egg yolks and brandy(if using). Set aside.

Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl. Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in the remaining sugar a and beat until stiff but not dry. Whisk the flour and almonds into the chocolate. Fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in remaining egg whites. Scrape the batter into the pan and level the top if necessary.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool in the pan. Cake will sink like a souffle.

Taking care not to break the edges of the torte, slide a knife between the torte and the pan and run it around the pan to release the cake completely. Invert cake on a plate and remove pan to release the cake completely. Invert cake into the plate and remove pan and liner.

To serve: Sieve powdered sugar over the top. Serve with cream if desired.

Recipe Source : The Art Of Low Fat Desserts by Alice Medrich

18 comments:

Brilynn said...

I love the little tree on top! Gorgeous tort!

Mandy said...

Anne, did you seriously eat all these chocolate treats?! I am glad to hear the positive review on this recipe. I recently bought a second hand copy of this book!

PASSIONATE BAKER....and beyond. said...

Hi there Anne...simple sublime! Gorgeous looking dessert...I love the effect!

Anne said...

Bri & Passionate Baker, thanks for the compliments :)

Mandy, ha!ha! of course I always eat all my bakes :) In fact I've gained quite a few pounds already ever since I've started baking :( I promise myself next year that I would definitely slow down in baking and eating and concentrate in exercising and my kids. I'm avid fan of Alice Medrich :)

Manggy said...

Anne, that is just too cute! I love the tree and everything!

I don't yet have any books by Alice Medrich, but this looks encouraging :)

evan said...

oh looks very good! your photos are getting better & better anne! btw, did u use a star template to sift the icing sugar? the whole outlook is very x'massy n original.

Mishmash ! said...

Your X'mas tree looks very prettyyyyy :)

Shn

Dhanggit said...

me too i want this chocolate!! this is just the perfect cake im looking for...low fat and yet incredibly delicious!! i love the way you made that x'mas tree decor..i should learn how to make one for i am assigned to make the chistmas log..:-) glad to discover your blog thru maybahay..

Jenn said...

Your cake looks great - I love the decorations!

www.chocolateshavings.ca

Muffin said...

Those is the cutest little tree! I love it! The whole cake looks delicious!

Toni said...

Oh my gosh! That is just so charming!!!

Anne said...

Manggy, I would really recommend her books, they are very good. chocolates are her expertise!

Evan, yes I used a stencil and it says Merry X'mas with stars on the sides :)

Shn, Thanks *blush*

Dhanggit, unfortunately I didn't make the tress. they are store bought but you can easily make it using royal icing and use a star tip to pipe it :) I'm happy to know that you and Maybahay has joined the DB(",)

Jenn and muffin, thanks for your kind words :)

maybahay said...

this is gorgeous and looks festive.
i am sure this tastes great.

Aimei said...

I love this the most out of all your chocolates! And I love ur tree, and the snow flakes. :) Very Xmas feeling. Hope you had a good holiday over there! Merry X'mas!

Tartelette said...

I love that book! Everything tastes sinful but is actually "better" for you. The souffe torte is impressive! Fabulous!

sk said...

I love that tree on the top - adorable idea!

-Sabra
www.cookbookcatchall.blogspot.com

lois said...

Looks delish.
What size pan is called for in the recipe?

Anne said...

Hi Lois! You can use 8 inch springform pan, 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep :)