Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Crimson Morning

Last time I mentioned that I was keen on purchasing quinoa flour but I was hesitating because of the price. Well, the urge to make this pancakes over ruled my reasoning that the flour is pricey. In the end I finally bought it with eyes closed. Happy though that I bought it 2 dollars cheaper in Fairprice.


Quinoa and Beet Pancakes


Quinoa and Beet Pancakes
recipe adapted from: Good to the Grain
makes 8 pancakes


30 g wholewheat pastry flour
30 g quinoa flour
70 g all purpose flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
30 g muscovado sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40 g yogurt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
50 g red beet puree*
1 egg



*For the red beet, I only used one medium red beet and I cooked it in the microwave following these instructions. When beet is done,let it cool then peel and puree the beet in a food processor or blender until smooth. I only used 50 g or 1/4 of of the beet. (Any leftovers can be frozen for future use.)

Sift together the flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, butter, beet puree and milk add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth.

Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbly, a little dry around the edges, and lightly browned on the bottom; turn and brown the other side.

Serve immediately with maple syrup.


Originally the recipe calls for whole wheat flour but I substituted it with wholewheat pastry flour because the result will be lighter and fluffier.

It's my first to use quinoa flour and warning to those who would be using it that it has a weird smell ( Kim Boyce even describe it as smells like bag of dirt) but thankfully there's none of it when you used it your bakes. It lends a distinctive taste.

For the verdict, I am so in love with these pancakes! Truth be told I am not someone who is very much into pancakes but these recipe changed everything. It has that certain taste which reminds me of eating yam... something earthy and nutty. The pancakes came out light and delicious.

1 comment:

wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more said...

Oh, now you are making me go search for my bag of dirt. LOL.
Actually I find beets smell like dirt or sawdust.