Pages

Friday, July 01, 2011

New Addition

I finally had the chance to replenish my supply of special flours. Aside from my staple kamut, buckwheat, wholewheat, oat and spelt four I have also bought millet and barley flour. I was also interested in the quinoa flour but I hesitated in purchasing it when I saw the price ($17 sgd).I find it too steep.


I was excited to bake again with my new supply of flours and this time I'm trying barley flour. I've decided to try it on a scone recipe (as always) which I saw from a book I've loaned from the library.

From what I've read barley flour has a mild flavour.In yeast breads, the nutty flavor of barley flour can replace up to ¼ of the regular flour, and in quick breads and other baked goods, it can be used to replace up to ½ of the flour called for by the recipe. Barley has a lot of protein but not much gluten so it's best to use it as a secondary flour.

Nutritionally speaking, it has slightly fewer calories and more than 4 times the fiber of all purpose flour. It also has slightly more fiber content than whole wheat flour.


Strawberry Barley Scones


Strawberry Barley Scones
recipe adapted from : Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce

102 g barley flour
120 g all purpose flour
40 g muscovado sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
90 g cold butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Pre-heat oven to 350 F

In a small bowl, whisk the egg into the buttermilk. Set aside.

In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

 Cut the butter into the flour, tossing the pieces to coat them with flour as you work until it resemble bread crumbs.

Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients.Combine the ingredients together just until all the dry bits are moist and the dough looks shaggy.

Use a pastry scraper or spatula to transfer the dough onto a well- floured surface. Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Flour your hands and pat each piece of dough into a disk about 3/4 inch thick and 7 inches in diameter.

Spread one disk with strawberry jam. Top the spread with the other disk and press down gently so that the dough settles into the jam. Brush dough lightly with melted butter and sprinkle some sugar if desired. (in my case I omitted this step)

Slice the circle into 8 wedges. Place wedges in baking sheet leaving a few inches in between them.

Bake15-20 minutes.

Serve warm.


The scones came out lovely. Crumbly, buttery and tender. I was glad it didn't turn out too sweet and my kids who were not at the very least interested in scones somehow managed to eat a few pieces.

2 comments:

wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more said...

I've been thinking whether I should buy that book. Is it good?

Anne said...

Wendy, this is the first recipe I've tried and so far it was good. What I've observed is that the recipes in the book are easy and not too complicated. For someone like me who's taking it the slow route to incorporating whole grains in baking, I find the book quite useful.