Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Diverted

My initial plan when I bought some figs was to make some Fig Ice cream but since my kids still have a cough , I decided to use them instead in a cake recipe  from Dorie's Cookbook.  



Figs


This cake is really good! I have to restrain myself from eating the whole cake. The sauce made this cake special.

 

Fig Cake

Fig Cake
Recipe adapted from : Baking from my Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1/4 cup port ( I used Merlot)
1/4 + 1/4 cup maple syrup
1 thin slice lemon
5- 6 fresh figs, stemmed and quartered
100 g all purpose flour
30 g cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
45 g caster sugar
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
110 g unsalted butter, at room tempt
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a small saucepan combine port, 1/4 maple syrup and lemon. Bring to a boil. Add the figs and cook until soft but not falling apart. Remove the fig and continue to cook the liquid until slightly thickened. Set aside.
 
Preheat oven to 350 F . Butter and line a 7 inch round pan.
 
Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
 
Put the sugar and grated zest in a bowl and rub them together with your fingertips. Add in the butter . With the paddle attachment  beat together until creamy.
 
Add eggs one at a time. Pour in 1/4 cup maple syrup, add in vanilla extract and beat for another 2 minutes.
 
Add in the dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated.
 
Scrape batter into prepared pan and scatter the poached figs over the top.
 
Bake 30-40 minutes or until done.
 
Serve with the sauce.
 
 

No comments: